Tuesday 15 September 2015

"Big Business" (FB 9th July 2015)

The "big businesses" I keep seeing people moan about are just as accurately described as "major employers", providing incomes for their own staff and for the staff of their supply chains and distribution networks.
The last time I did the sums relating to a relatively large company I worked for, I discovered that for every £200 I was paid by the company I contributed no more than 40p to the shareholders of the company, whose personal investment enabled the public infrastructure works we carried out to take place. This still strikes me as a pretty good deal for continuous employment.
Conversely, my greediest employer ran one of the smallest companies I ever worked for. In a single year, simply by doing my job well and managing his company better than he had, I was able to improve his gross annual income by a sustainable £125,000 yet he was reluctant to raise my salary above 10% of that figure. I made him £2000 for every £200 he paid me and I withdrew my services at the end of that year.
Whether it is fashionable or not to mention it, in the unemotional world of sums involving real world numbers, employees almost always get a fairer deal from larger companies than from small ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment