Tuesday 15 September 2015

Untitled (A Gentle Rain - FB 12th July 2015)

My planned Poem Three has been cancelled due to inclement weather. I went looking for an "Indoors if wet" alternative and wrote this before I found one. It will have to do:
A gentle rain comes to soften and,
In time, to rinse away the remnants
Of food and drink, to clean the streets
Of the pee and puke of humankind and
The poo I hope is of beasts of land and air.
The sun averts its direct gaze
From the morning after the humid
Night before, bringing slowly into the very
Softest focus a few selected, carefully vignetted
Outstamatic memories of "freedom", as played out
By stags and hens under the watchful eye of their hosts,
Using cameras set high up on buildings and purpose-made posts.
I notice
A miserably damp, chill morning in Seaside City feels
No different from a miserably damp, chill morning in
Whatever part of Sarf London whence they arrived
With bulging yesterday cashcards and back to where
The Southern Railways train will slightly gently carry
Them and their newly swollen livers later on today.
Me?
I live here.
I haven't finished enjoying
My birthday weekend.
I just took a time out
To write a poem.
It's what
I do.
© Po 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment